This Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for UNIX: Administration course provides the IT professional with instruction on the functionality of Symantec NetBackup 7.5 software. This course covers the general principles of using NetBackup to develop and implement a storage management strategy, including how to:
- Install, configure, and operate NetBackup 7.5.
- Manage NetBackup using the graphical interfaces, commands, and scripts.
- Provide service protection and recovery.
- Use the NetBackup Activity Monitor, NetBackup reports, and OpsCenter to monitor NetBackup activity.
- Discuss the challenges of performing backups in today’s enterprise computing environments.
- Describe the functions of the master, media, and EMM servers and clients.
- Diagram the NetBackup product architecture.
- Define common terms used in the NetBackup product.
- Describe how NetBackup backs up and restores data.
- Identify NetBackup options and agents.
- Install and verify NetBackup.
- Use the NetBackup Administration Console and OpsCenter.
- Describe the various tape and disk storage types and NetBackup media concepts.
- Configure tape-based devices and volume pools; perform a robot inventory.
- Configure basic disk storage units and AdvancedDisk pools.
- Configure file system backup policies and schedules.
- Perform manual backups.
- Restore files using the Java or Windows BAR interface and OpsCenter Operational Restore.
- Monitor NetBackup backup and restore jobs and perform basic troubleshooting and informationgathering steps related to failing jobs.
- Describe the various methods of backup image duplication.
- Configure Storage Lifecycle Policies (SLPs) and initiate jobs that use SLPs.
- Back up and recover the NetBackup catalogs.
- Monitor NetBackup using the NetBackup Activity Monitor, NetBackup reports, and OpsCenter.
- Manage robot and tape drive settings, including media sharing.
- Monitor and manage media and media states.
- Manage basic disk and AdvancedDisk disk pools.
- Identify additional NetBackup storage concepts and options, including deduplication, OpenStorage, NDMP, and NetBackup appliances.
- Optimize file system backups using incremental backups, file system snapshots, multiplexing, synthetic backups, and multiple data streams.
- Identify backup requirements and concepts for application backups, database backups, and virtual machine backups.
- Identify the resources available for troubleshooting NetBackup, including legacy and unified NetBackup logs.
- Use NetBackup support utility to assist in troubleshooting issues.
This course is for entry level system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration staff who are responsible for the installation, configuration, design, operation, monitoring, and performance optimization of NetBackup.
Students must be familiar with the administration and configuration of the platforms that are covered by the course.
This course includes practical hands-on exercises that enable you to test your new skills and begin to use those skills in a working environment.
- Introduction to data protection
- The NetBackup environment
- NetBackup concepts
- NetBackup options and agents
- Preparing for NetBackup installation and configuration
- Using the pre-installation utility
- Installing your NetBackup environment
- Installing NetBackup client software
- Verifying your NetBackup installation
Using the NetBackup Administrative Interfaces
- The NetBackup Administration Console
- Enabling administrative access from media servers
- NetBackup OpsCenter
Configuring Tape Storage and Media
- NetBackup storage device concepts
- Configuring tape devices
- NetBackup media concepts
- Configuring media
- Verifying tape storage
Configuring Disk Storage
- NetBackup disk storage types
- Configuring basic NetBackup disk storage
- Configuring AdvancedDisk
- Verifying disk storage
Configuring File System Backups
- Introduction to backup policies
- Configuring file system backup policies
- Viewing and editing a policy
Performing File System Backups and Restores
- Performing manual backup operations
- Performing restore operations using the Java BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using the Windows BAR interface
- Performing restore operations using OpsCenter Operational Restore
- Backup and restore job-related tips
Protecting Backup Data
- Backup duplication concepts
- Storage Lifecycle Policies concepts
- Using storage lifecycle policies
- Introduction to NetBackup Vault
Protecting the NetBackup Configuration
- Introduction to NetBackup catalogs
- Managing images
- Performing catalog backup operations using the wizard
- Disaster recovery strategies
- Catalog-related tips
- Using and customizing the NetBackup Activity Monitor
- Reporting using the NetBackup Administration Console
- Reporting using Symantec OpsCenter
Managing and Optimizing Tape Storage
- Managing robots and tape drives
- Monitoring media and media states
- Managing tapes
- Media- and device-related tips
Managing and Optimizing Disk Storage
- Comparing disk storage features
- Managing basic disk and DSSU
- Managing AdvancedDisk and disk pools
- Additional NetBackup Storage concepts
- Disk-related tips
Optimizing File System Backups
- File system backup challenges
- Using incremental backups
- Introduction to file system snapshots
- Using multiple data streams
- Optimizing tape drive performance using multiplexing
- Using synthetic backups
- Using FlashBackup
Introduction to Enterprise Backups
- Application protection concepts
- Introduction to database backups
- Introduction to enterprise application backups
- Introduction to virtual machine backups
Working with Support
- Support resources
- NetBackup processes, services, and daemons
- NetBackup and Media Manager logging overview
- Using the support utilities