This Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for UNIX and Windows: Advanced Administration course provides the IT professional with instruction on advanced Symantec NetBackup 7.5 software functionality and administrative tasks. This course covers advanced NetBackup topics, including deduplication, NetBackup performance, disaster recovery, virtual machine backups, application backups, NetBackup Search, and security.
This course also covers using NetBackup to manage Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SQL database backups.
At the completion of the course, you will be able to:
• Configure and run backups that use media server and client-side deduplication.
• Improve NetBackup performance by addressing bottlenecks, tuning NetBackup buffers, and using
• NetBackup Accelerator.
• Prepare for common disasters and plan for disaster recovery using optimized duplication, Replication
• Director, and Auto Image Replication.
• Configure, run, and manage virtual machine backups using VMware.
• Describe requirements for backing up third-party applications and databases.
• Configure NetBackup to back up and restore Oracle,
• Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SQL databases.
• Discuss strategies for Oracle, Microsoft Exchange, and Microsoft SQL database recovery.
• Configure and use NetBackup Search to perform queries and searches, and create and release legal and local holds.
• Ensure your NetBackup environment is secure using encryption, authentication, and authorization.
This course is intended for experienced NetBackup system administrators, system engineers, technical support personnel, and system integration staff who are responsible for implementing new and advanced NetBackup features and functions.
Students must be familiar with the administration and configuration of the platforms that are covered by the course. Students must also have one to three years of experience with basic NetBackup administration, configuration, and operation. These prerequisites can be met by attending any version of the Symantec NetBackup Administration course plus additional on the- job experience.
NetBackup Concepts Review
• Reviewing the NetBackup environment
• Reviewing NetBackup concepts
• Reviewing NetBackup administrative interfaces
Managing NetBackup Deduplication
• Introduction to NetBackup deduplication
• Configuring NetBackup media server deduplication
• Configuring client-side deduplication
• Managing NetBackup media server deduplication
Improving NetBackup Performance
• NetBackup performance overview
• Isolating bottlenecks
• Addressing bottlenecks
• Tuning NetBackup buffers
• Using NetBackup Accelerator
Advanced Disaster Recovery Strategies
• Disaster recovery strategies
• Optimized duplication
• Introduction to Replication Director
• Disaster recovery for the NetBackup infrastructure
Using Auto Image Replication for Disaster Recovery
• Introduction to Auto Image Replication
• Configuring Auto Image Replication
• Monitoring Auto Image Replication
• Managing and maintaining Auto Image Replication
Managing Virtual Machine Backups
• Introduction to virtual machines
• Configuring VMware backups
• Managing VMware backups and restores
• NetBackup support for Hyper-V
• NetBackup support for other virtualization solutions
• Understanding application needs
• Database backup and restore concepts
• Customizing generic application backups
Managing Oracle Backups
• Introduction to the Oracle database
• Configuring NetBackup to back up and restore
• Oracle databases
• Monitoring and maintaining Oracle database
• Oracle database disaster recovery considerations
Managing Microsoft Exchange Backups
• Introduction to the Microsoft Exchange Server
• Configuring NetBackup for Exchange
• Exchange and high availability environments
• Exchange and VMware backups
• Monitoring and maintaining Exchange database backups
• Exchange disaster recovery considerations
Managing Microsoft SQL Backups
• Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server
• Configuring NetBackup for SQL Server policies
• Using the NetBackup Microsoft SQL Client console
• Monitoring SQL Server database backups
• SQL Server and VMware backups
• SQL Server disaster recovery considerations
Compliance and NetBackup Search
• Introduction to NetBackup Search
• Configuring indexing
• Performing searches and hold management
• Ingesting into Enterprise Vault
• Troubleshooting NetBackup Search
Additional NetBackup Topics
• Network resiliency
• Media-related topics
• Auditing NetBackup
• Securing NetBackup
• Securing NetBackup using encryption